Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Pondering of a Field Trip

Well I can certainly say, it was nice to get away from that classroom. Field trips are good times had by all, I'm sure nobody would care to disagree. (especially when you live five blocks from said destination)
So I made my way down to Interaccess, a place I was very happy to hear about. Numerous galleries along Queen, but one practically centered around tech/interaction intrigued me.
I did my research on the show we were going to see, and basically took some of it for a test drive.
The Mario Trilogy pieces I found were by and OCAD student (my guess) and are available for download. So me being the lover of games that I am, I checked it out. Suffice to say, I was somewhat dissappointed. I give kudos to the artist and their efforts, but overall no matter how many times I tried to convince myself, I felt that it wasn't a good interactive piece of work. Basically you are allowed access to 4 functioning actions (left, right, jump, and start)
Boring.
I liked the way the Tony Hawk glitches were recorded and looped, but having been a young boy who played these games, I've had experience first hand. Nothing quite like a few huge game glitches to get you a million points, then smash into the pavement face first (seemingly unscathed).
CuteXDoom was a step up. This was better than the two previous, but still, as an avid gamer since Nintendo in 1985, "been there, done that" So, changing the characters in a game, and timing yourself just presents itself to me, and a poor game design. To function more as a design, etc. I can't help but expect more, but it was better than some.
My show-stopper would have to be the 2 classic style arcade games. Although the same lines, just editing the game, I felt it had more presence. The design of an arcade machine is art in itself! Ms. Pacman was interesting, from what I could guess, it had you going around a multicoloured blueprint of a different building, each level. Took me a couple tries to beat it, but it kept me involved. Plus it was the only exhibit that had GLITTER all over the damn thing.
*honourable mention to the sitckers plastered all over the place on CuteXDoom*
And the weird Asteroids adaptation was fun, just like the original itself. Not so much a lot of design, but they kept the basic framework (both digitally in the game, and physically in the arcade machine itself)
It was a neat little gallery, but I think if it were bigger and cleaned up a little, it would be quite the sight to see.

rock on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home